On May 18-22, 2015, the Rights and Resource Initiative (RRI), in collaboration with the Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation, the U.S. Forest Service, and the European Forest Institute have hold the fifth Rethinking Forest Regulations workshop in Missoula, Montana, United States.
Bringing together participants from 7 countries currently undergoing forest or tenure reforms (Cameroon, Canada, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mexico, Nepal, Peru and the United States), the workshop served to better prepare and inform forest agency officials and civil society representatives in meeting the challenges of forest regulations. It exposed participants to effective and innovative regulatory models that are inclusive of various stakeholders and respect individual and collective property rights. The study of the Montana cases was used to discuss and reflect more broadly on the issues related to forest governance and regulations in participating countries.
- Agenda and List of Participants (English | Français | Español)
- Biographies (English | Français | Español)
- Synopsis (English | Français | Español)
- Map of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes
- Andy White – Why do we regulate forests?
- Andy White and Sally Collins – Rethinking Forest Regulations in the World (English | Français)
- Jussi Viitanen – International Initiatives Promoting Forest Governance
- Bob Harrington – History of Forest Tenure and Regulations in Montana
- Tim Love – Another Innovation: Stewardship Contracting: An alternative to traditional concession contracts
- Gary Burnett – Local Community Forest Governance and Regulation: Blackfoot Challenge Overview (English | Français | Español)
- His Majesty Bruno Mvondo – The Traditional Chief´s Experience in Cameroon (English | Français | Español)
- Paolo Cerutti – Lessons learned for FLEGT and Implications for Forest Management
- Pablo Pacheco – Local Actors, Timber Markets and Emerging Forest Policy Approaches in the Western Amazon
- Sally Collins – Introduction to the Tribal Lands
- Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes – Treaty and History
- Ogden Antonio Rodas – Evolución política, legal e institucional del sector forestal en Guatemala
- Blackfoot Challenge, A Guide to Land Conservation in the Blackfoot Using Conservation Easements
- Journal of Forestry, Montana’s Forestry Best Management Practices Program: 20 Years of Continuous Improvement, 2012
- MegaFlorestais and Rights and Resources Initiative, Rethinking Forest Regulations, Overcoming the challenges of regulatory reform, 2016 (available in English, French and Spanish)
- MegaFlorestais, 10 Years of MegaFlorestais: A Public Forest Agency Leaders’ Retrospective, 2016 (available in English, French, Spanish, and Chinese, read the press release)
- MegaFlorestais, Public forest agencies in the twenty-first century: Driving change through transparency, tenure reform, citizen involvement and improved governance (available in English | Spanish | French | Chinese | Portuguese | Bahasa)